Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Good Landing




Youtube user lindseychew writes:

"This is my second flight in the landing clinic, what a difference actually having a light breeze in!
I look for active air over the bend in the stream and find a tiny bubble. The vario is on NETO so its not really indicating enough to turn in.
I like to fly directly over my LZ with plenty of altitude judging winds, obstacles etc.
I choose a spot and a direction and then plan the pattern by working backwards to my position over the LZ. Ryan asked us to shoot for the center of the bull's eye and I see a very light NNE breeze which means flying close to the windsock pole.
I choose a left hand DBF as this gives me a turn to final with the pole on the inside of the turn, rather than a right DBF which would place the pole nearby on the outside of the turn. The left DBF takes me near the trees again and I hear about it from Ryan later.
The bar comes in and airspeed goes to about 30mph, turning left on downwind well over the row of trees.
I keep the speed up turning base then let the glider slow a little in the turn to final trying to line up directly on the spot, the streamer showing dead calm air.

Round out, ground effect with the spot dead ahead drifting a tad left.
Transition one hand at a time, FLARE, WOW almost a no stepper just 3 feet from the spot!
There is no feeling in the world like sticking a good landing!"

Related Posts by Categories



No comments:

Post a Comment